Find the best business SIM only mobile contracts with Bionic
If you’re looking for the best business mobile phone deals, but don’t want the added cost of a new handset, a business SIM only deal could be the ideal solution.
Bionic’s team of tech-enabled connectivity experts work with some of the UK’s top business mobile phone providers, including EE, O2 and Vodafone, to find the best business SIM card only deals to suit your needs.
We’ll find the right package for you, whether you need 4G or 5G connectivity, unlimited UK data or unlimited business roaming.
What’s the difference between a business SIM only deal and a pay monthly contract?
The inclusion of a handset is the main difference between SIM only deals and pay monthly business mobile contracts. When you sign up to a pay monthly business mobile phone deal, you’ll get the choice of taking on a new handset or tablet, but with business SIM only you just get a new SIM card that you slot into your existing device.
Both types of plan offer inclusive calls, data, and international roaming, so the choice simply comes down to whether or not you want to upgrade your tech.
Why choose a business SIM only deal?
If you’ve decided to let employees use their own devices for work purposes, a SIM only deal makes perfect sense as they can just slip the new SIM card into their existing handset and they’re good to go.
SIM only business mobile phone deals are also useful if your company has recently updated its tech, or your existing pay monthly business phone contracts are coming to an end and you don’t want to fork out on any new devices.
You might also lean towards a business SIM only deal if you want more flexibility - while other types of business phone contract might tie you in for up to three years, you can get shorter, more flexible SIM only contracts.
Does the size of the business SIM card matter?
Not all SIM cards are compatible with all devices, so the size of the SIM card does matter.
There are currently three main types of SIM card available, each differ in size and the type of device they’re compatible with:
- Standard SIM card (15mm x 25mm)
- Micro SIM card (12mm x 15mm)
- Nano SIM card (8.8m x 12.3mm)
If you’re not sure which size SIM card you need for your handset or device, some providers offer 3-in-1 SIM cards, which allow you to pop out the SIM from a plastic template, so you can choose the right size for your device.
Also known as multi-SIM or combi-SIM, these cards are ideal if you let employees use their own devices.
Are unlimited business phone plans available on SIM only deals?
As with most mobile deals, business SIM only offer unlimited data, calls and texts so you can go about your business without worrying about usage caps that could really hit you in the pocket if you exceed them.
And if you or your employees spend time doing business overseas, business roaming unlimited deals are available to allow you to use your smartphone abroad as you would in the UK.
As things stand, business mobile deals still offer data roaming within the EU, meaning you can call, text and roam as you would in the UK, at no extra charge, but this could change as and when the Brexit transition phase ends. We’ll keep you updated with any changes.
If you need worldwide roaming, to include countries outside the EU, speak to the team at Bionic.
What is ‘bring your own device’ or BYOD?
Bring your own device (BYOD) is simply the name given to a policy which lets employees use their own handsets and tablets for work purposes.
BYOD is a great way to save on the cost of getting new devices for staff use, but it’s not quite as simple as giving out new SIM cards or letting them log in to their work emails on their iPad - there are data and cyber security implications to consider, so you’ll need to have a proper BYOD policy in place.
If, for instance, employees share customer data over an unsecure network or via unsecure apps, this throws up all sorts of cyber security concerns. And then there’s the issue of employees leaving the business with work data on their phone.
Are 5G and 4G business SIM only deals available?
Any SIM only plans arranged through Bionic come with 4G as standard, meaning you’ll be able to enjoy the faster speeds and more reliable connection offered by the 4G network.
But if you really want superfast mobile broadband, it’s worth looking at a 5G deal - the next generation of mobile phone tech promises speeds of up to 1Gbps, which is ten times faster than 4G.
Speak to one of our tech-enabled experts to work out the best option for your business.
What are the benefits of 5G for business
Aside from faster speeds of up to 1Gbps, 5G offers a range of benefits for business users, including:
- More reliability - 5G offers more reliable connections than ever before. This means there’s less chance of your calls or internet dropping out, and more reliable connectivity can help to increase productivity and efficiency.
- Lower latency - Latency is essentially the time it takes for information to get from one point to the next and it accounts for the delay you get on some devices when calling or browsing. 4G networks generally have a latency of 40-50 milliseconds, but 5G it should get this down to a completely unnoticeable 1 millisecond or less. Again, this will help to increase productivity and efficiency.
- Greater capacity - The more devices you have connected at once, the slower your connection speeds will be, but the greater capacity offered by 5G will all but do away with this, meaning more devices can be connected with no drop in performance.
- Better flexible and remote working - 5G will give more people access to a fast and reliable internet connection, even in more remote or rural areas. This will help improve conditions for remote workers, including those that operate from co-working spaces, which could help cut costs for businesses who can then afford to be less reliant on having people in a single office space.
- Improved VoIP services - If you're using mobile VoIP for business, your calls will rely on you having sufficient upload and download speeds. The has greater speeds and adjustable bandwidth, which means you'll have a more reliable and stable video and audio calls with less chance of the quality dipping or the calls dropping off completely.
How to change your business SIM card
To change your business SIM card, simply run a business mobile comparison with Bionic and our tech-enabled experts will find the best deal to suit your needs.
Once you’ve signed up to your new deal, possibly with your new provider, we’ll handle the switch for you - all you need to do is pop the new SIM card in your phone when it arrives, and you’re good to go.
For more information, check out our business SIM only page, or give us a call on 0800 077 3947.